Consent and Waiver
The novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. COVID-19 is believed to spread from person-to-person contact. People reportedly can be infected and show no symptoms and can therefore spread the disease. Evidence has shown that COVID-19 can cause serious and potentially life threatening illness and death.
To contain the spread of COVID-19 the Government of Belize (“GoB”), through its Ministry of Health, has established health and safety protocols for persons entering Belize. These protocols may include, but are not limited to requiring that every person traveling to Belize:
- undergo additional screening or questioning by government personnel at the port of entry;
- take a COVID-19 test to determine if the person has the disease;
- if infected with COVID-19 or if the person refuses to take the test, to quarantine in a government designated quarantine facility at person’s own expense;
- observe all social distancing protocols;
- wear a facemask when required;
- if a foreign tourist, remain within the safe corridor or the hotel or tourist accommodation where that foreign tourist is booked, and that the foreign tourist use only approved tour operators from that foreign tourist’s hotel or tourist accommodation;
- use this App which enables the GoB to monitor location and movements while in Belize.
USERS, by agreeing to come to Belize: (a) you understand that you are required to, and you consent and agree to, comply with these health and safety protocols, including that, if asked, you will take a COVID-19 test, and if you test positive or if you refuse to test, you will go into quarantine at a government designated quarantine facility at your own expense; you will observe all social distancing protocols; you will wear a facemask when required; you will remain within the safe corridor, including within the precincts of your hotel or tourist accommodation; you will use only approved tour operators from your hotel or tourist accommodation; and you will use this App, which uses location services to enable the GoB to track your location and movements; (b) you waive any right to object to or to challenge any of these safety protocols, including that you will not object to or refuse to take a COVID-19 test, and you will not object to or refuse to be quarantined at your own expense at a government designated quarantine facility if you test positive or refuse to test, and (c) you waive and release the Government of Belize from any liability whatsoever, and you promise and agree not to sue the Government of Belize, for any matter concerning these health and safety protocols, including challenging the requirement to take a COVID-19 test or being quarantined at your own expense at a government designated quarantine facility, or bringing any claim for infringement of any privacy or other rights. Your agreement to these terms constitutes an absolute bar with prejudice to your commencing any claim against the Government of Belize for anything connected with any matter set out in this Consent and Waiver.